Kmeaw just informed me that he has updated his AsbestOS installer to V1 with a separate downloads for FATs. Ability to boot Linux from USB has also been added. In this case you will have Debian. Check out the How-To below:
1. install AsbestOS installer v1 or higher: slim – http://hpr.console-spot.com/app.html?LNX000001, fat – http://hpr.console-spot.com/app.html?LNX000002;
2. partition a USB disk to have at least one partition (FAT-formatted);
3. http://www.multiupload.com/CTG9EZPAQ8 unpack linux.img and put it into the root dir of usb disk;
4. run AsbestOS installer;
5. install lv2 patcher v9 or higher: http://hpr.console-spot.com/app.html?LV2000000;
6. attach an ethernet cable, connected to a network with a dhcp-server (just for the initial boot, it can be a SOHO router – just anything with DHCP);
7. run lv2 patcher and select “Linux”;
8. as you see the fb console with penguins, you can unplug the ethernet cable;
9. login: ps3, password: ps3.
If you don’t see anything, press Ctrl-Alt-F1, then Alt-F7.
You need Kmeaw’s LV2 patcher V9 to boot Linux kernel with. Also, you need to set up a DHCP, TFTP and NFS servers on your LAN to make it work. Wireless connection is not supported by AsbestOS yet.
UPDATE: v1.2 is up with network install is no longer necessary. Check it out here.
UPDATE: You can find the sources of Kmeaw’s updated AsbestOS for his Installer on 3.55 here: https://dukio.com/git/gitweb.cgi?p=asbestos;a=summary
AsbestOS_Installer_v1_PS3_Slim.pkg (3.32 MB) AsbestOS_Installer_v1_PS3_FAT.pkg (3.32 MB) debian.rar (295.14 MB) kmeaw_lv2_patcher_v9.pkg (111.33 KB)