Here we go again. Fresh from the scene, a new homebrew application for PS3 has been released. This particular application allows you to DIRECTLY manage your files on your PS3 console itself, actually looking at them, moving them, copying them. Much like you can do via full functioning FTP, but now on the PS3 itself, rather than using your PC and the FTP program. There is now an third version, labeled v0.03 by the author, and he also notes there is a few known issues which he will be fixing in the next upcoming version, that he is hard at work on!
Note: The image above is not the official logo for comgenie’s awesome file manager.
Update in 0.03
- Added Scrolling
- Added Non-empty folder deletion
- Added a security option (Normal Mode/Advanced mode) where normal mode will only allow write access in /usb_dev and /usb_hdd0/game.
- Added the ability to backup up files over 4GB to external (explanation below)
- Fixed a hang-bug with folders with many files
Update in 0.02
You can now also copy directories, and delete empty directories!
The copying speed is also improved! (From external to internal i copied 8.11GB in 15 minutes).
D-Pad to navigate (up/down to navigate through files, left/right to switch the active directory listing).
X to navigate into a directory
O to copy the selected file (no directory) to the inactive directory listing.
 to delete the selected file.
Known issues (will be fixed in a newer version):
- – Not possible to copy/delete any files with spaces in it
- – When copying things to the External USB, the files are marked as system files. Windows will not display them unless you turn them on as explained in: this link
- – Font’s are too small on a SD screen (will be fixed in the next version)
- – Everything still “hangs” when copying till it’s done
How to >4GB file backupping
In version 0.03, All files/folders copied from the internal disk (like /dev_hdd0/game/LAUN12345/GAMEZ/)
to the external disk (/dev_usb .. ) which are larger than 4GB will be splitted in multiple parts.
When copying the files back from external to internal, those files will be merged again.
* Note: You still can’t play games with >4GB files from the external directly since those files are splitted! But now you can at least backup and restore them. (Ofcourse, games without >4GB files still works directly on external)
Also an important note:
Be careful! It is a very dangerous tool if you don’t know what you’re doing. I’m not responsible in any way!